Friday, May 24, 2013

Weekly Wrap-Up: Nearing the End—and the Ultimate Field Trip Preview


 This has been simply an amazing month for homeschooling. We took the ultimate family field trip: 10 days in France. I have only just begun recording our journeys on my blog, but so far you can read about Notre Dame and the Arc de Triomphe. I'll have more posts up in the coming week, but here's a little preview of what we did:
Paid tribute to a lot of famous people in cemeteries and crypts

Visted the Louvre

 D'Orsay Museum

Napoleon's tomb

Rodin's Museum

The Eiffel Tower

Versailles

The Catacombs

The Pantheon

 And much, much more. We spent about 8 hours each day out and about, mostly walking! We spent the vast majority of our time in Paris, but we also took an incredible one-day trip to Normandy.

At Point du Hoc, Normandy

American Cemetery in Normandy


What a phenomenal way to end our school year. I am so overwhelmed and blessed that we could make this trip with our kids. At 20, 15, and 12, they are absolutely the perfect ages to travel and remember. I hope this begins a lifetime of journeys for them.

Back home, we have just one more week of school, and I have about 8 weeks left to finish in history. Isn't that always the way it goes? I mean, I don't have to finish what I hoped to do. No one is holding me to a scope and sequence or anything like that. I just really have so much more World War II information that I had hoped to cover with Duncan this year. I foresee lots of summer reading together.

Laurel is nearly done with her sophomore year—she has one exam and one paper to complete. She's had such a fantastic year.

And that's all for now! I am looking forward to next Friday, when I can officially declare this school year DONE. Well, except for all the reading I'd still like to do....

Linked up with the Weekly Wrap-Up


9 comments:

  1. Sounds like an incredible trip! We're hoping to make our first overseas trip to England in another couple of years...but we still have one in diapers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just incredible! I have loved living vicariously through your posts and photos. What wonderful memories you're all going to have to treasure over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just amazing! I have loved living vicariously through your posts and photos. You're making such wonderful memories for your family to treasure in the years to come. Isn't it amazing thinking that they'll be telling your grandkids about this trip some day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Looks like an amazing trip! What great memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for the Versailles post...I've wanted to visit there since 10th grade!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kids are just so COOL! So glad you had an amazing and memorable trip with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an amazing opportunity! A trip of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ultimate field trip indeed! So glad you were able to share this amazing experience with your whole family- memories you will all treasure for a lifetime:).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.