Wednesday, October 24, 2012

31 Beautiful Things, Day 22: Sunrise


One of my very favorite things about getting older is that I wake up early, not because I have to nurse a baby or because the little ones are up running around. I wake up early on my own, anticipating a couple hours of quiet time before the kids wake up and the daily bustle begins. Every morning I sit in the same place on the couch with a blanket over my legs and watch the sun rise above the mountains. These cool fall mornings I turn on the gas fireplace (it's all about the ambiance), read a chapter in the Bible, and pray. Some mornings I get distracted mid-prayer by a cat meowing or a random thought that pops in my head. I am always trying to be more disciplined.

You'd think a sunrise would be old hat eventually, but every morning I swivel my head again and again to look at the sky. Has the sun popped up yet? What new color has been added to the sky? Some mornings, like today, the morning fog lightly shrouds the mountains, and I imagine myself wading through it.

Used to be I lived on Seneca Lake, and every morning I'd do the same: watch the moods of the lake, the sun spreading diamonds on the surface, the trees in sturdy silhouette. I can't imagine living somewhere without a view to start my day.


1 comment:

  1. Love your post! Beautiful pic ~ And, Yes, waking up to see the start of a new day ~ and seeing the early morning Sun rise! Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.