Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sick Days

Here's where my 11-year-old has been for six whole days:
 

And I have been here about half the time, working on lesson plans, articles, and catching up on odds and ends for American Heritage Girls and for the Andrew Pudewa/Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) conference we are hosting here this week. Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork.



The rest of the time, I have been in the kitchen. I have made a whopping 14 freezer meals this week, plus froze 20 bags of sliced peaches, 2 bags of applesauce, and 4 bags of chicken broth.  I also tried fruit leather, which is very tasty but not quite the right texture.




It was so hard to see my little guy so sick. He just had something viral with a sore throat and fever, but the fever was so high and he was so lethargic—it's just scary. I am reminded again and again of the blessing of good health.

Yesterday morning (day 6) he awoke and said, "My throat doesn't hurt any more!" Indeed, his fever was gone! He was still fatigued but he did actually get up off the couch, get out his cars and play on the floor a few times. I cannot even imagine how much TV and how many movies he's watched in the past week! But we began and have nearly finished My Side of the Mountain. I have been negligent in reading aloud to him this summer, so this was the perfect opportunity to do so.

I predict Duncan will have one last day of being a couch potato, and then he'll be back to climbing trees tomorrow.



2 comments:

  1. I hate that random viral thing. I once spent a week with a scorching hot 3 year old across my lap, worrying myself sick. Glad that your son's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.