Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wordless Wednesday: My Parents' Yard


Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart.
~Russell Page


By the end of August, my own vegetable garden is nearly completely taken over by weeds. My flowers are still surviving (but not exactly thriving) for the most part, except a few pots that died in the endless string of 90+ degree days.

Yet just two blocks away, my parents' yard continues to flourish. Their vegetable garden is overflowing. They toss seeds in the ground which seems to turn into 6 inch flowers the next day. My father is currently cultivating roses and has a dozen or more thriving new ones from just one rose plant. The fence is lined on both sides with rows of sunflowers, roses, lilies, impatiens, marigolds, cosmos, 4 o'clocks, apple trees, and more. The peach tree is heavy with fruit.

I know. Right now my real garden consists of my own little family. But I sure am determined to someday have a late summer yard full of growing things.

6 comments:

  1. What a garden! I bet the roses are gorgeous..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a green thumb and flowers like that in my yard!

    Colleen
    www.shibleysmiles.com
    Come by and link up your WW Post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother's garden is the same way. It never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! But God willing, your turn will come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandparent's had a garden in Kentucky every year, and the thought of their corn and the cherry tomatoes still makes me salivate! I have no green thumb- I believe it is missing in my DNA...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister says the same thing about my garden, but it really is a lot of work to keep it that way. I go out almost every day for a couple of hours. Check your soil...that has a lot to do with it:)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.