Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tuesday Miscellany

* I liked today. I was so distraught to find out last night that Laurel had an orthodontist appointment at 9:30 a.m. today, which would mean leaving at a heinous 9 a.m. on a really cold morning. (I know, I know: homeschoolers are total morning-out-and-about wimps.) But it really wasn't horrible (other than the $185) and we were home by 10:15.

* This was our first day back since who can even remember in December, and we got to start back with one of my favorite books, Cheaper by the Dozen. I read it aloud many years ago when Jesse was in 5th grade, and it was a highlight of the reading year. This time, however, we have this awesome study guide, written by my friend Kristina, to go along with the book. I've been awaiting the day when we get to re-read this book so that I could use the study guide, so I'm way excited!

* Jesse got the official word today that he's been accepted to Belmont University, his first choice. Yay for him! I'm so happy for him. And grateful on sooooo many levels. Now we just have to wait a couple of months to hear about scholarships…

* I made this taco soup recipe tonight. It was yummy, but Laurel disliked the hominy. Duncan and Jesse find anything resembling chili to be repulsive, so they ate fishsticks. I'm all about well-rounded meals around here.

* We had our first real event of the new year tonight: the monthly Cub Scout pack meeting. For one of the games, the boys got to mummify one of their parents with toilet paper. The boys thought that was the best game ever. They have an awesome Cubmaster who comes up with really good games. (I'm partial to him, as well.)

* I am still working on putting away Christmas decorations. My house is looking sadder and sadder as the green and red disappears. Makes me want to go buy all new stuff.

* But, there was that $185 at the orthodontist today.

Hope you all had a good day!

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on the morning thing. We have an appointment at 8:45 tomorrow morning and it's not going to be pretty. :)
    Congrats to your son for getting into the college of his choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe Laurel would like that taco soup if you mixed in some ebony & ivory. I hear it goes together in perfect hominy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great day. But I know what you mean about those early appointments - I'm especially wimpy about going out in the cold. What great news for your son!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.