Friday, May 1, 2009

High School Resources

Last night our support group had what is probably our most requested roundtable: homeschooling through high school. People come in petrified, and most leave feeling better. The impact of being able to voice concerns and receive encouragement and feedback is amazing.

I put together a resource list as a hand-out and thought I'd share it here. I'd love to have more links if anyone has favorite high-school sites.

High School Information

Websites with Links to Articles
The HomeScholar: Dozens of articles to help parents homeschool through high school:
HSLDA: Lots of great information (for college bound, military, and vocational tracks) on homeschooling through high school, including sample 4-year plans.
Tips for getting into college
ACT
• Tons of information at College Board (home of the SAT):


Dual Enrollment at Pellissippi State: (This is specifically for those in our local area, but most community colleges have similar programs.) Here is recent article about Knoxville homeschooler who received her high school diploma and associate’s degree in the same year.

Yahoogroups
Homeschool2College
Homeschooling High Schoolers
HSing High School:
On2College (Knoxville area):


Books
• Homeschooling High School by Jeanne Gowen Dennis (ISBN 1932096116) Rev. 2004
• Homeschoolers’ College Admissions Handbook by Cafi Cohen (ISBN 0761527540) 2000
• Homeschooling the Teen Years by Cafi Cohen (ISBN 0761520937) 2000
• College-Prep Homeschooling: Your Complete Guide to Homeschooling Through High School by David P Byers (ISBN 1600651003) 2008
• High School @ Home: You Can Do It! by Diana Johnson (ISBN 0805445455) 2007

Ebook
Homeschooling the High Schooler

Have some more resources? Leave me a comment and I'll add them!

7 comments:

  1. if I lived in TN ... but I don't and that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. I don't have a high schooler quite yet, but it's good to see what's out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I came to the Roundtable petrified and left even more petrified (and with a headache, to boot). So much to think about.

    LLL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the resources. I know I have a ways to go before I have high schoolers, but I want to be prepared! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this! My son is entering 7th grade next year, so my brain is already working towards preparing for high school and beyond over the course of the next year or so. I appreciate this info.

    One other link I'd add is to Jeannie Fulbright's website. She has a brief, but insightful perspective to offer, especially with regards to Dual Enrollment. http://www.jeanniefulbright.citymax.com/highschool.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list. Thanks for sharing. Tackling all that information leaves me feeling so overwhelmed! It isn't hard to figure out, but it does take some time and patience, both of which are always a shortage for homeschool moms!

    Hope you weekend in Ashville was restful and fulfilling. Sometimes a little time away with girlfriends is a healing balm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! I have been going back and forth between the highschool system for Alex and just keeping him home for another two years and putting him in headstart. I am adding this list to my favorites so when I have some time to really go over it, I can. :)

    Val

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.