Friday, July 18, 2008

Sometimes I Have Bursts of Domesticity

which allow me to be in touch with and revel in my innate (but not always obvious) crunchiness:

Fruit bounty: cantaloupe (store-bought but local), blackberries we picked at Milne Farm, blueberries we picked from a local farm, plums from my brother's trees.


Pizza: with pesto sauce made from our own basil (2 varieties) and homemade crust. And yes, it is worth the extra $6.99/lb. to buy pine nuts for the pesto.

Pesto Pizza
3 cups (packed) fresh basil leaves
3-4 large cloves garlic
1/3 c. toasted pine nuts
1/3 c. olive oil
1/3 c. parmesan
salt and pepper to taste

1) Put garlic and basil in food processor and mince well.
2) Add nuts and blend.
3) Drizzle in oil while machine keeps processing. Transfer to bowl and add parmesan and season.
4) Use about 2-3 TB on your favorite pizza crust. (Put 3 TB or whatever is left in a ziploc and freeze to use later.)
4) Add any topping you like (if I had it I would add roasted red pepper, mushrooms, artichokes, and roasted eggplant) and finish off with mozzerella and more parm. If the cheese is all you have, it's still fabulous. Cook at 500 for 8-10 min. or until cheese bubbles. Yum. Serve with a salad.



Dessert: blueberry/blackberry pie. Fabulous recipe here, except I use my own pie crust recipe. (Have husband stop for vanilla ice cream on the way home from work.)

7 comments:

  1. It all looks very yummy! Reminds me I need to get out to the blueberry farm before it gets too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' the looks of that pesto pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Much healthier than our fare tonight.

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want to come to YOUR house for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks yummy! I'd like to add you to my blog list if that's alright?! I just started a book reviewing blog here on blogspot or blogger-whatever name is goes by. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. NO side dishes but IF you can make that dessert, I am there - when? Isn't "have hubby stop and get ice cream on way home from work" a bit much? I mean we have SO much to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am copying the pizza recipe--it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.