Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Meeting Abigail

April 9, 2008

Today was a pretty amazing day. It's one of those days in which the flexibility of homeschooling gets big bonus points. We decided to put everything aside and go visit my niece, Esther, and her new baby, Abigail. For my own children to get to meet their baby cousin was wonderful, but this is what was really amazing about the day:


I had the joy of being with my parents as they held their first great-granddaughter. They've not yet held their great-grandson, born just 2 weeks before his little cousin Abigail; so she is, in fact, the first great-grandchild who has graced my parents' arms.


My father has always been good with grandbabies. He walks them, talks to them, sings to them. What is it like to look into a tiny face and see yourself, your spouse, your own parents and grandparents and in-laws, your children, your grandchildren, and now this little one? Those roots are spreading "long and strong/as deep as the generations will go." (Read the whole poem here.)

(Did someone say POEM? Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am running a Spring Poetry Contest! Only a couple of days left until I randomly pick a winner, so come play!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.