Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Bouquet and Other Such Frivolity

March 26, 2008

* It's been an amazing week here in SmallWorld. We had a relaxing, family-filled spring break. I didn't get quite everything in at my Project 52 blog, but I've captured some of the highlights.

• We had a great anniversary yesterday. Dr. H. and I are blessed to have built-in babysitters in my parents from November to April, so we enjoyed dinner out and then coffee and stale cake later at Starbucks. And of course we were home in time to watch American Idol, and I couldn't have summed up last night's episode any better than Cindy did here!

* Have I ever mentioned that I'm not the most sentimental person in the world? I mean, I can be. I've kept all my old journals and lots of letters, and we have two whole boxes of t-shirts. Of course I have some baby mementos, photo albums, and all that. But I'm not the girl who keeps rose petals from all the dozens of three bouquets that Dr. H. has brought to me in the course of our 22 years together. I don't even have my dried wedding bouquet, but that's really because the cats peed on it, not because I didn't save it. In fact, maybe I used to be a keepsake-sort of person, but then those darned cats peed all over boxes of mementos one year and we had to throw them all out. Anyway, for whatever reasons, whether deeply psychological or disappointingly shallow, I'm not good about keeping things like ribbons, ticket stubs, tiny hair bows (OK, really Laurel never wore a hair bow), baby socks, old pacifiers, and the like. But this, this has got to be the worst I've ever been:



These are the beautiful roses that Dr. H. brought to me for our anniversary. He is so good to me! I love them; I really do. I should wait for them all to die and then dry the petals to save in a pouch. Perhaps I could make my daughter a sachet for her own wedding, filled with rose petals from all the flowers her father has brought to me in our long and lovely marriage. Or her flower girl could toss them along the aisle--a symbolic scattering of our love as our daughter walks (over them?) into her future....

Um, well...back to my real life.

So, when he got home from work today, Dr. H. pointed out that some of the flowers looked bedraggled already. I lovingly asked him if he picked them up at the Jiffy Mart (i.e., the corner gas station). Then I thought to myself, "Hmmm, rose petals. "


And I got out my scissors and snipped.



Because rose petals were exactly what I needed to make a bottle of dye. Yeah, see, we're working on the Textile Arts badge in American Heritage Girls, and the girls need to try out different kinds of natural dyes, and what could be more natural than rose petals, besides daffodils, acorns, and coffee?

Exactly what I needed. Thanks, my beloved, for loving me anyway.

Post A Comment!.....


Comments

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - ok, seriously

Posted by onfire (206.132.50.252)

I have known you more than a year now so I can say this ... that has got to be the ugliest display of roses I have ever seen.
and it is NOT his fault.
sarah ... do you need a lesson on "vasing"? I can totally see why you cut them all up.
simply hysterical

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by SmallWorld (24.151.178.103)

Um, HE put them in the vase!! Don't you know that thing about, "Don't go behind them and change what they've done!"? ;-)

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by TheMonkeyParade (65.6.43.157)

Fantastic purple dye can be made from red cabbage and alum.

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Margaret (68.42.29.163)

What a great family memory that rose dye will provide. Hope the project works out well!

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Thursday, March 27, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (71.221.67.204)

Happy Anniversary!

I agree with the AI rundown, except for Kristy Lee Cook. She needs to go home. I could watch David Cook's performance a thousand times....

Heidi @ Mt. Hope

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Saturday, March 29, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by jsgay97 (70.153.96.250)

I suppose you could put the dye in a fountain pen to write him a love note?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one. I have comment moderation on, so your comment will take a little bit to appear.